Sunday, March 09, 2008

Book Updates

Back to the Shelves:
Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner – I sent this back, since it just wasn't catching my attention.

The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima (audiobook) - As I said before, I didn't like the narrator...so, back it went after listening to one disc. I may try the print copy...sometime.

Montmorency: Thief Liar Gentleman? by Eleanor Updale - This is back on my "to be read" pile.

Recently Finished:

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (audiobook) - I very much enjoyed this book. The story sucked me in. I can't wait to get book 2 to listen to. My complaint? The audiobook I picked up was an abridged version...something I wasn't aware of until the very end (when they said, "You have been listening to an abridged production..." :( I'm not sure why this wasn't clearly marked on the packaging (I've examined it since). There were a few parts that I felt something was missing or it was a little rushed. Now I know why.

The story is a good one. Gemma's mother dies in a tragic death - after an argument on Gemma's 16th birthday. Gemma is sent from India to England, where she will attend the Spence Academy. It is while boarding there that Gemma learns more about her powers, and about the legenday Order - a group of sorceresses with ties to the caves near the boarding school.

Now Reading:

Undercover by Beth Kephart - I just started reading this book yesterday, and haven't read more than a few pages. It's for the YA book discussion group I am part of. The storyline is yet another Cyrano de Bergerac plot. Hopefully it will outshine the others.

No comments: