Thursday, April 03, 2008

Bookmarkers - Book to Movie group

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis

Narnia is coming to my local library. Every Monday night throughout April, I will be conducting a Narnia program for upper elementary students. Then, on Saturday, May 3, we will be showing the movie The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I hope we get a great turnout, because I have lots of fun activities planned.

Plans so far for the 1st session:

  • When the children arrive, they will make their name tags – writing their 1st name and either Daughter of Eve or Son of Adam.
  • Each child will be given a small journal to decorate. They can decorate the cover and write/draw inside while I am reading.
  • I will read aloud the first 5 chapters of LWW. During this time, pizza and juice will be served.
  • After I finish reading, we will discuss the story a bit. I have 9 (I want one more) discussion questions.
  • Then it is time for activities/crafts! We will make a snow/winter themed bookmark (since in Narnia, it is always winter – never Christmas). Additionally, we will have hot chocolate to drink. I’d like to have Turkish Delight, but I’m not sure if 1. I can find it here, or 2. I can make it. We shall see.

Other fun things that go with this series of programs include:

  • A Narnia themed display in the lobby of the branch.
  • A LWW movie/library poster also on display in the lobby.
  • At the end of the program series (when we show the movie?), a prize drawing for either a paperback set of The Chronicles of Narnia or a DVD of the movie (we will have two winners).

I’m excited for this program. I’ll update as it goes along.

Because of this program, and since it has been 10+ years since I’ve read the books, I am currently listening to LWW on CD. It’s a decent production. Michael York narrates.

No comments: