Saturday, May 17, 2008

How Not to be Popular by Jennifer Ziegler

Maggie's parents – throwbacks to the flower child era – are migrants, travelling throughout the United States and experiencing what life has to offer. This is how Maggie's life has always been. Having established a close group of friends – and acquired a boyfriend, Maggie is less than thrilled when her family moves from Portland, Oregon to Austin, Texas. In order to save her heart, Maggie decides to go against her norm and to try her hardest to not make friends. She does this by keeping to herself, wearing outrageous outfits, taking water aerobics with the retired set, and joining the least popular club at school. Will she succeed in her plan or will she find true friendship in the outcasts of popularity?

Finally! A book that didn't make me want to slit my wrists. It seems that lately I've been reading books that are downright depressing. I was glad when my book group listened to my request for something lighthearted and fun. This book pretty much fit the bill. It was a decent story and written fairly well. There were parts that had me laughing out loud. I wouldn't go and buy it for my personal collection, but I'll pass along the suggestion to others as a book to check out.

No comments: