Tuesday, January 20, 2009

2008 in review

According to my GoodReads list, I read/listened to 69 books in 2008. Granted, that doesn’t count the many children’s picture books that I read for work (and for pleasure). I’m sure that number is well over 200.

Listed below are my top picks for 2008. If you look at my ratings on GoodReads, you may notice that some books that were rated with 5 stars didn’t make the list. Why? Because as I looked over the titles, I picked the ones that stood out. I may have LOVED a book when I first read it, but if months later I don’t think of it to recommend to others, then why should it be on my top list?


My top 10 books read in 2008 (in no particular order)
  1. Unwind by Neal Schusterman (Teen)
  2. The Wee Free Men: A Discworld Novel by Terry Pratchett (Children's/Tween/Teen)
  3. My Bonny Light Horseman: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, in Love and War by L. A. Meyer (Teen)
  4. Babymouse: Queen of the World! Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm (Children's/Tween)
  5. Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning (Adult)
  6. The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer (Adult)
  7. Spanking Shakespeare by Jake Wizner (Teen)
  8. The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory (Adult)
  9. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (Teen)
  10. Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale by Holly Black (Teen)

Top Audiobooks listened to in 2008(in no particular order)
  1. Poison by Chris Wooding; read by Virginia Leishman (Teen)
  2. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon read by Davina Porter (Adult)
  3. Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon read by Davina Porter (Adult)
  4. Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!: Voices from a Medieval Village by Laura Amy Schlitz read by Christina Moore and a full cast (Children's)
  5. Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L. A. Meyer read by Katherine Kellgren (Teen)
  6. A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray read by Jo Wyatt (Teen)
  7. Rebel Angels by Libba Bray read by Josephine Bailey (Teen)
  8. The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray read by Josephine Bailey (Teen)

No comments: