Monday, January 26, 2009

And the winner is...

Hello from Denver!

I attended the Youth Media Awards press conference. It’s the highlight of the ALA Midwinter Meeting for most – if not all – youth librarians.

I need to do some reading. There were several titles that I wasn’t familiar with that were either award honors or winners.

What I’m exited about:

The Graveyard Book – something that I’ve read (and recently) won the Newbery award!

Curse of the Blue Tattoo: Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady, written by L.A. Meyer, narrated by Katherine Kellgren won an Odyssey honor. I haven’t listened to this book, but I have read it, and did listen to the first Bloody Jack book (it won an Odyssey honor last year). Kellgren wonderfully portrays Jacky’s voice.

Just in Case - illustrated by Yuyi Morales, is the winner of the 2009 Belpre Illustrator Award, and a 2009 Belpre Author Honor. While I have yet to read this book, I LOVE Morales work in Los Gatos Black on Halloween (written by Marisa Montes), which was a 2008 Belpre Illustrator Award (2008 Belpre Author Honor).

We Are the Ship: The Story of Negro League Baseball, written and illustrated by Kadir Nelson, is a big winner this year! I love Nelson’s illustrations. This book won the following awards/honors:
  • Coretta Scott King Illustrator Honor
  • Coretta Scott King Author Winner
  • Robert F. Sibert Medal (for most distinguished informational book for children)
And lastly, I’m excited that the Theodor Seuss Geisel Award for the most distinguished book for beginning readers was awarded to Are You Ready to Play Outside?, written and illustrated by Mo Willems. I adore the Piggy and Elephant books by Mo Willems (as well as Willems’ other works).

Some links for you:
  • http://ala.unikron.com/index.php - supposedly the video is coming.
  • For the complete list of winners/honors, check out this press release.

No comments: