Thursday, November 19, 2009

Look, Ma! More reviews!

Slowly, I am getting caught up on reviews. I'm splitting up the ones I have left in order to have less overwhelming posts. Oh...and so I hopefully don't miss any books in the process.

Here are two books that are great for tweens and teens.

When the Whistle Blows by Fran Cannon Slayton

Life in the small town of Rowlesburg, West Virginia is centered on trains. Most of the families in the town work for the railroad, and Jimmy Cannon’s family is no exception.

The story is told from Jimmy’s viewpoint, and each chapter focuses on All Hallow’s Eve from 1945 to 1949. Jimmy grows from a young teen to an adult, watching his father – a B&O foreman – age as each birthday (October 31) passes.

When I heard that this book was set in West Virginia – my home state – I immediately wanted to read it. At first, I wasn’t too impressed with the story; however, as each chapter progressed, I found myself drawn into Jimmy’s world. The description of West Virginia small town life paralleled the descriptions I have often read or heard about in other sources.


Fablehaven: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon Mull


It’s just been a few months since Kendra and Seth returned home from a summer at Fablehaven, and the siblings are gearing up for Christmas break. Unfortunately, they won’t be spending a quiet holiday at home with their parents.

Kendra is kidnapped by the Society and presumed dead. Seth and his grandparents find the truth – and the family must race to find the key to unlocking another artifact before the Society gets their hands a hold of it!

Yet another action packed story filled with unexpected twists. Mull has done an excellent job of keeping each book of the series as entertaining as the first. I can’t wait to get my hands on the next book!

No comments: