Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Lackluster Luxe?

Splendor: a Luxe novel by Anna Godbersen

The end of an era…or at least a series. The fourth and final installment of the Luxe series finds Elizabeth Holland pregnant and married and Diana Holland in Cuba searching for her lover, Henry Schoonmaker who ran off and joined the military. Meanwhile, back in Manhattan, Henry’s wife Penelope has rejoined society and catches the eye of a true royal – the Prince of Bavaria, and Carolina Broad – the Holland’s former maid – has truly joined the ranks of Manhattan’s elite. As wonderful as life seems to those looking in from the outside, there are deceptions and deep secrets just waiting to be uncovered. Will anyone survive unscathed?

If you love descriptions of clothing worn by high society women in 1900, this is your book! I found myself skipping large paragraphs of such descriptions. I was disappointed with how rushed the book felt, especially at the end. I do approve of Diana’s final decision, though. That’s about it.

I have never been a huge fan of the series, but of the four books the final one is my least favorite.

No comments: