Friday, August 06, 2010

A tawdry Highlander bodice ripper

I read this book at the end of June, so this review is quite a bit overdue.

To Conquer a Highlander
by Mary Wine


After the McBoyd clan ruthlessly attacked his people, Highlander Torrin, laird of the McLeren clan inadvertently takes Shannon McBoyd – daughter of the McBoyd laird – captive. Headstrong Shannon does not go quietly into her prison – where she is treated more like a princess than a prisoner. Neither Torrin nor Shannon quite knows what to make of the other. They also don’t expect their unbridled passion for one another to ever take control.

Likes:

Setting. I adore reading of the Scottish highlands.


Dislikes:

Seemed like another stereotypical tawdry bodice ripper. This doesn’t mean I hated the book. Quite the contrary. It was great for a mindless read. Though, if I wanted to read truly hot sex scenes involoving highlanders, I’d be better off picking up any of Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander books or any of Karen Marie Moning’s Highlander books.

Other:

This copy was an ARC I picked up in DC. The book was due to be published in July.

No comments: