Thursday, November 18, 2010

Bubble Bubble Toil and Trouble

Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and me, Elizabeth written and illustrated by E.L. Konigsburg.

On her way to school one Halloween, Elizabeth comes across Jennifer, a self proclaimed witch who goes to her school. Jennifer agrees to teach Elizabeth how to be a witch, assigning her many odd tasks.

This book was awarded a Newbery Honor the same year that Konigsburg won the Newbery award for From the mixed-up files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.

I’ve a confession to make. I didn’t actually finish the book. I tried. I really did, but I just couldn’t make myself read any more of the text. I thought it felt very dated and not at all appealing to most children in today’s society. As it is a shorter novel, I did read about ¾ of it before completely giving up.

No comments: