Friday, March 11, 2011

Tales of Beatrix Potter

Tales of Beatrix Potter by Beatrix Potter

Peter Rabbit, Benjamin Bunny, Squirrel Nutkin, Jemima Puddle-Duck. These and other delightful animal characters await the reader. The lives of the animals, notably their troubles and troublemaking, are descriptively and artfully written.

Narrator Nadia May wonderfully reads the tales of beloved characters brought to life by the author’s words. While you cannot see Potter’s beautiful illustrations, you can clearly imagine them.

Beatrix Potter The Complete TalesMany of these stories I was not familiar with before listening to the set. This isn’t to say had never heard the tales as a child, but that, if I did, I no longer recalled them. While I thoroughly enjoyed hearing about Peter Rabbit’s escapade in Mr. McGregor’s garden, it was other, lesser known stories that delighted me the most. For days after hearing The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes, I went around singing (to myself, of course), “Who’s been digging up my nuts?”, just as the birds in the story sing. I chuckled to myself as the fox Mr. Tod wandered back and forth in his home, trying to gather the courage to confront the supposedly sleeping badger, Tommy Brock (The Tale of Mr. Tod).

While I enjoyed the audiobook, I now want to peruse the printed stories just to see if my imaginings of the animals are similar to the illustrations.

I listened to the stories as part of a Facebook event a coworker and friend started: Beatrix Potter Reading Month.

No comments: