Saturday, May 19, 2012

Catching up a little. Emphasis on "a little"


What have I been reading?  The short answer – a lot.   Here’s a rundown of my most recent reads.

  • The Princess Curse by Merrie Haskell – a retelling of both The 12 Dancing Princesses and Beauty and the Beast.  I really enjoyed it, though the first part was the stronger written section.
  • The Serpent’s Shadow by Rick Riordan – Latest in the Kane Chronicles.  It was OK.
  • My Name is not Easy by Debby Dahl Edwarson – National Book Award Finalist.  I really liked it.  Historical fiction (set in the early 1960s).
  • Listening is an Act of Love: a celebration of American life from the StoryCorps Project edited and with an introduction by Dave Isay. – I adore the StoryCorps project.  This is an excellent collection of stories of everyday Americans.  Have tissues close at hand.
  • Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony, Rodrigo Corral – An interesting book – both in format and in story.  I think it needs a re-read.
  • Icefall by Matthew J. Kirby – Set in medieval Scandinavia, this is a story full of magic and mystery. 
  • All there is: love stories from Storycorps [edited and with an introduction by] Dave Isay. Another collection of stories from StoryCorps, this time focusing on love.  I admit it.  I cried.
  • Black heart by Holly Black. Third in the Curseworkers series.
  • Pink by Lili Wilkinson – Teenaged girl tries to completely reinvent herself, and finds out who she is – and that everyone has secrets.
  • Nice Girls Don’t Bite Their Neighbors by Molly Harper - The latest in the Jane Jameson series. 
  • Infamous by Sherrilyn Kenyon – Latest in the Chronicles of Nick series
  • Crossed by Ally Condie – sequel to Matched.

No comments: