Saturday, November 24, 2012

Is Everyone Ready for Fun?



This year I worked the day after Thanksgiving.  Since it was Friday and we have storytime on Friday mornings, this meant I had to plan a program.  But…since I have been doing this job for several years, I knew that there is a possibility that we might have a small group attending, or possibly even no one. 

The theme was Storyteller’s Favorites. I choose three books by Jan Thomas: Rhyming Dust Bunnies, Here Comes the Big Mean Dust Bunny!, and Is Everyone Ready for Fun?.  Since I wasn’t sure how many children to expect, I didn’t want to prep an elaborate craft.  Our Friday group has been averaging around 22 kids!  I wanted something simple, but fun. I also wanted that craft to tie in with the books for the day.

After doing a little online research, I found a great idea on this site.  I decided to make it even simpler by keeping only the basics.  I was surprised to have 12 children attend storytime.  They ranged in ages from 1-10 (four were younger or older siblings of preschoolers).  All except the youngest two did the craft, and I am happy to report that they all enjoyed it!  Some colored the tongue depressors with crayons, adding some more personality to their dust bunnies.  

There were only four items needed for this craft: Large or medium sized pom poms in various colors, eye stickers, tongue depressor (or large Popsicle sticks, as one coworker calls them), and glue. Easy peasy.



1 comment:

Malika Bourne said...

Now this is my idea of what google is- you know, google eyes.
Cute and fun.