Thursday, December 12, 2013

2013 Reading Resolutions - December update


Here’s another update on My 2013 Reading Resolutions.

1. Participate in at least one 48-hour Reading Challenge – even if I’m the only one taking part! - Perhaps I need to organize my own.

2. Read more books from the below lists.
  • Randolph Caldecott Medal - FINISHED!! This won’t change until January.
  • Odyssey Award 30 total books 25 read. 4 abandoned. One left. Listening to it now, so this will be done by the end of the year.
  • Schneider Family Book Awards - 30 total books 14 read. 1 abandoned.
  • Stonewall Book Award - Mike Morgan & Larry Romans Children's Young Adult Literature Award 21 total books 11 read and 1 abandoned.
  • Theodor Seuss Geisel Award I’ve read them all!! This won’t change until January.
  • YALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction for Young Adults 20 total books FINISHED!! Well, until they announced the 2014 finalists in December. So, now I have five more titles to read.
  • Robert F. Sibert Informational Book 48 total books 34 read.

3. Set aside time each week to read the libraryland blogs, journals and other news sources. – I really need to work on this more!  Hahahahahaha! This has yet to happen.  Totally failing.

4. Keep up with tracking books read!  - I’ve been using Goodreads a lot, and have even challenged myself to read an average of one book a day this year.  That includes picture books, audiobooks, non-fiction, fiction, re-reads…basically everything.  Doing great on this goal!  More than hit my goal.  740 books and counting!

Not part of my Reading Resolutions, but part of the Youth Media Awards given by ALA/ALSC/YALSA:
  • Illustrator – I’ve read all 41!  Same. This won’t change until January 2014.
  • Author: 13 read. 2 abandoned. Some have won other awards/honors. 39 total books. 
Coretta Scott King awards:
  • Illustrator –Thanks to Brindi, I’ve been reading all of this category’s books.  96 total books. All read!! Finished this in August.
  • Author 17 read and one abandoned (Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis.   This title is also an Odyssey and Newbery Honor book.  I tried to read it once before.) Some were honors or winners for other awards, such as CSK Illustrator and Newbery 152 total books. 23 read. 1 abandoned.

I’ve started to think about next year’s Reading Resolutions.  I think I’ve done a great job with some parts of this year’s resolutions.  Others, well, not so much. I've a couple of weeks to decide what I want to focus on in 2014.  Any suggestions?

No comments: