Monday, October 19, 2015

Fall 2015 Dewey's Read-a-thon



I did it! I did it!  I stayed awake for over 24 hours and read, listened, and discussed books for the majority of that time!  As you can imagine, I spent a good bit of Sunday sleeping.

Some of my stats:

Books read (part or all): 10
Books read start to finish during the read-a-thon: 6
Books finished during the read-a-thon: 7
Books partially read during the read-a-thon: 4
Total pages read (either visually or audibly): Over 1500

The books I read:

  • Everything’s Eventual by Stephen King (audiobook, adult horror.  Still listening to this one)
  • Son of No One by Sherrilyn Kenyon.  (audiobook, adult fantasy.  Didn’t finish that day and ultimately abandoned)
  • All-Star Superman, Vol. 1 by Grant Morrison (print graphic novel)
  • Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson (ebook adult non-fiction)
  • Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery by Kurtis J. Wiebe (print graphic novel. Finished about 30 minutes after the read-a-thon ended)
  • Your Own, Sylvia: A Verse Portrait of Sylvia Plath by Stephanie Hemphill (print teen non-fiction)
  • Captain Marvel, Vol. 3: Alis Volat Propriis by Kelly Sue DeConnick (print graphic novel)
  • Keesha's House by Frost, Helen (print teen book)
  • Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night by Joyce Sidman (print children’s picture book)
  • Carry On by Rainbow Rowell (audiobook.  Started prior, but finished during the read-a-thon)

As you may recall, I had quite the list of books to choose from for the event.  Two of those arrived at my desk on Friday…after I had left my office for another location.  Good thing I had LOTS of other choices!

The date for the next read-a-thon has been announced (April 23, 2016).  I plan to participate, and am considering doing it as a fundraiser for a literacy type non-profit.  There were over 2000 people who participated as readers this time. I can just imagine how many there will be in the spring!

I will post my photo updates from the fall 2015 read-a-thon later this week.  Keep an eye out for them!


No comments: