Monday, October 29, 2007

Right Behind You by Gail Giles


Another quick, easy read. I started this book Saturday and had it finished by last night. Granted, I was off yesterday, but I think even if I had worked, I would have finished it just as quickly.

The plot? When Kip was 9 he killed a boy. After spending 4 years in an asylum for the young criminally insane, Kip is released. His name is changed to Wade, and his family moves from Alaska to the Midwest US, where they live for the next 3 or so years. Kip - now Wade - must fight his inner demons, and overcome the guilt he feels for his past actions.

The book started out great. I was really enjoying it. The story seemed mostly believable. However, the last few chapters just didn't jive to me. For the topic of the story, everything wrapped up too prettily. Also, the time spent in the Midwest started out descriptive. It wasn't too long - just right. However, when the author decided to fly over a year or so in just a few pages, that's when I think the story started to go downhill. Seriously? Two or three pages and we go from the end of freshman year to junior or senior year of high school? I want more info...more detail.

That being said, I do love that Kip/Wade's father and stepmother stood by him through the thick and thin. They were strong, positive people in his life. Overall, though, I wasn't impressed with this book.

On to the next one...


No comments: