Friday, January 16, 2009

A few other things...

While I was visiting for Thanksgiving, my mom and I went to see Twilight and The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Both movies are based on books, as is the movie we saw just after Christmas - The Tale of Despereaux. Since all three movies are based on books, I thought I'd write about them.

Twilight=boring. Seriously thought it was a snoozefest. My mom - who loves the books (Why, Mom? Why?) - agreed. The scads of tweens seemed to enjoy the movie, but I just couldn't get into it. Heck...I could at least listen to the audiobook without falling asleep. The movie was a struggle.

For the most part, I think the actors just didn't fit the descriptions from the book. For instance, Rosalie - whom I imagined as a beautiful natural blonde, looked like an ordinary chick with a bad dye job. *shrug*

The second movie that Mom and I saw, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, was a much better film. I'll never watch it again, and, once I returned to work, I took my hold off of the book. The film was excellent. As I haven't read the book, I can't say how closely it followed. The end was shocking, even though I knew what was going to happen, I had a bit of hope. Mom and I were both too shocked to cry. This is not a movie for young children.

We are going to show the movie at one of our branches for Holocaust Remembrance Day.

I was excited to see The Tale of Despereaux. I even bought the book for my mom for Christmas! She started reading it, and was at least halfway through the book when we went to see the movie.

I was disappointed. While the characters were the same as the book, the story was changed quite a bit. Why? There was no reason to change the story! My mom was really into the book, and was equally disappointed in the movie. *sigh* I'd skip the flick and read and/or listen to the book instead!

In other fun, I don't think I've shared this yet.

Snarky Twilight Recaps This site will have you LOLing for sure. I suggest you don't read it at work...you might get in trouble for laughing too loud.

No comments: