Monday, June 15, 2009

Envy and Bloodline

Here are my short reviews of two of my most recent reads. I've another to write about, but that will be in a different post. Enjoy!


Envy: a Luxe Novel by Anna Godbersen.

The story begins shortly after the point when the previous one, Rumors, ends. Both of the Holland sisters are in mourning: Elizabeth over the death of her lover; Diana over the marriage of hers to another woman. Life isn’t as grand for the newly married Schoonmakers, as Henry pines for Diana and Penelope is determined that he will be completely hers. Will a trip to sunny Florida solve the differences between these high society families?

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I ended up enjoying this book. While it moved slowly at first, the action picked up once the group went to Florida, adding a few surprising twists and turns to the tale. I’m actually looking forward to the publication of the next installment: Splendor.

Bloodline by Katy Moran

Essa has never forgiven his father for leaving him behind in the small border settlement when he was nine. Over the next five years, he becomes part of the village, finding friends and family amongst the inhabitants. When the village is threatened by a rival king, Essa is determined to save those he loves regardless of the secrets he uncovers along the way.

A little bit of history (it is set during the Dark Ages), a lot of action, this is a decent enough tale…just not quite up my alley. I would recommend it to readers who like war stories.

No comments: