Sunday, June 28, 2009

Save Ohio Libraries - Weekend update, vol. 2

It’s Sunday night, and the word is that the powers that be in Columbus can’t decide on a budget. This could be good or it could be bad. The waiting game may be extended beyond the original June 30 deadline.

*sigh*

In order to get my mind off of work and the financial woes of late, my husband and I went to see a couple of movies this weekend. Those were just the breaks I needed. For several blessed hours I did not contemplate whether my career will be at a sudden standstill within a few short months. (btw…we both really enjoyed the movies we saw: Transformers 2 and Star Trek).

As you can imagine, there is a dark cloud hanging over my head. A week ago, this kept me from sleeping. I’ve gone beyond the sleeplessness into the “let’s take a long nap” mode.

I also find my self daydreaming of schemes that may bring books and programs to children that need them, should this budget be passed and our funding so drastically cut.

I’ve been urged to apply for jobs in different fields. As I said to the husband…I need a few days to mourn this loss before I can do that. Regardless, I will be making sure my resume is up to date….just in case.

I’ve heard others talk of finding a different job. Granted, to do so may very well require moving to another state, something that is not easily done.

So, I sit and wait, just as I have done for nearly a week. Just as the thousands of public library employees and millions of library patrons across Ohio are doing. What more can we do?

No comments: