Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A spoonful of sugar

Three decades ago I learned how to operate a VCR. My video of choice was a recording of Mary Poppins and Pete’s Dragon. How I loved those movies! Though I especially adored Mary Poppins.


Somehow it wasn’t until a few years ago that I found out that my favorite childhood movie was based upon a book! Fast forward a couple of years and I finally got around to reading the first book in the series.

Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers


Mary Poppins (Odyssey Classics)When Katie Nana unexpectedly leaves the Banks family, Mary Poppins arrives to take care of the four young children. Together they have wonderful adventures: a tea party on the ceiling; a nighttime birthday celebration at the zoo. The younger two children, twins John and Barbara, swear that they will never, ever, not understand the languages of animals, plants, the sun and the wind, regardless that everyone else (except Mary Poppins) quickly forget when they reach their first birthdays.

Likes
The fanciful adventures…so full of imagination and fun.

Dislikes
Mary Poppins. I’m sad to say that in the book she is a vain, conceded, mean bitch. I hate that the children cry for her love and attention considering she is so very short tempered with them.

Other
There are several other books in the series.

1 comment:

Lara said...

Mary Poppins is bitchy in the books? Wow, that blows my mind. I suppose it's more realistic than her being saccharine sweet, but still. Sometimes books spoil the movies, oddly enough!