Thursday, August 15, 2013

Books to Movies

Recently the hubby and I had a movie night at home. We watched three films that evening, two of which were based on books.   Imagine that! A movie based on a book.  It only seems like most films these days are based on a novel, especially teen ones.

The movies we watched were The Host: A Novel (link to the book, by Stephenie Meyer) and Warm Bodies: A Novel (link to the book, by Isaac Marion).  I have read the first book, but not the second.  The hubby hasn’t read either.

I was looking forward to watching The Host (link to  movie).  While I’m not a huge fan of the Twilight series, I thought The Host was a better written novel.  I was a little worried, though, on how it would translate to the big screen.  I was not impressed with the film.  While some parts were neat, it just wasn’t as engaging as the novel.

Warm Bodies (link to movie), however, was a great movie.  I don’t know how it correlates with the book, but the film version was entertaining.  I might even buy it.  I was a little perplexed on how a zombie romance would not be, well, disgusting.  The storyline works this issue out, making for a delightful zombie romantic comedy.

There are a lot of films coming to theaters that are based on books.  Here is a short list of some that have been recently released or set to hit the theaters:

The Book Thief (Markus Zusak)
Austenland (Shannon Hale)
The Spectacular Now (Tim Tharp)
Horns: A Novel (Joe Hill)
Great Expectations (Charles Dickens)
Carrie (Stephen King)
Catching Fire (Suzanne Collins)
The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug (J.R.R. Tolkien)


No comments: