Monday, August 11, 2014

Reading Resolutions update

Even with all the craziness that goes along with being a youth librarian during the summer, I still managed to read quite a bit.  In fact, I completed some of my 2014 Reading Resolutions!  Here's an update:


1. Participate in at least one 48-hour Reading ChallengeIf not done by June 30, 2014, organize my own. Now to organize my own.  Who wants to join me?

2. Read more books from the below lists.
  • Read 2014 winners/honors for Caldecott (done), Belpre illustrator (done), Coretta Scott King (CSK) illustrator (done), Odyssey(done) YALSA non-fiction (done), and Geisel (done) (a.k.a. the awards I finished reading in 2013).  The 2014 winners/honors were announced on January 27, 2014, adding several titles to my TBR list.
  • Morris 30 total books 17 read 21 read
  • Read at least six honors/winners from: Newbery (392 total books 83 read and 1 abandoned 91 read), Printz (67 total books 26 read and 6 abandoned 33 read), and CSK author (152 total books. 23 read. 1 abandoned 30 read)
Newbery Done!
Everything on a Waffle by Polly Horvath 
Rules by Cynthia Lord 
Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien 
Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz 
Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo 
The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin 
Hoot by Carl Hiaasen 
Strawberry Girl by Lois Lenski 

Printz Done! 
How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff 
Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick 
Navigating Early by Claire Vanderpool 
Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner 
Kingdom of Little Wounds by Susann Cokal 
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

CSK author Done
March: Book One by John Lewis 
P.S. Be Eleven by Rita Williams-Garcia 
Words with Wings by Nikki Grimes 
Darius and Twig by Walter Dean Myers 
The Tales of Uncle Remus: The Adventures of Brer Rabbit by Julius Lester 
Copper Sun by Sharon M. Draper 
Mare's War by Tanita S. Davis

3. Set aside time each week to read the libraryland blogs, journals and other news sources. This really needs to be a part of my regular workweek.  Ever since Google’s blog reader bit the dust, I’ve fallen behind on reading blogs.  Any suggestions? I do follow several literacy resources on Facebook.  That seems to help some.

4. Keep up with tracking books read!  I read over 775 books in 2013.  I’d like to read an even 1000 in 2014.  I have been using Goodreads for years, and plan to continue. According to Goodreads, I have completed over 640 books so far this year and am currently over 30 ahead!


No comments: