Monday, December 15, 2014

2014 Reading Resolutions Update

It’s been three months since I’ve updated on my 2014 Reading Resolutions. This is mostly due to completing many of them (Go me!).

1. Participate in at least one 48-hour Reading Challenge. If not done by June 30, 2014, organize my own. One day I will do this!

2. Read more books from the below lists.

  • Read 2014 winners/honors for Caldecott (done), Belpre illustrator (done), Coretta Scott King (CSK) illustrator (done), Odyssey(done –read 31/attempted 4) YALSA non-fiction (done), and Geisel (done) (a.k.a. the awards I finished reading in 2013). The 2014 winners/honors were announced on January 27, 2014, adding several titles to my TBR list. The 2015 finalists for YALSA Nonfiction were announced in December 2014. This total does not include those titles.
  • Schneider Family Book Awards - 30 total books 15 read. 1 abandoned. 17 read/1 abandoned
  • Stonewall Book Award - Mike Morgan and Larry Romans Children's Young Adult Literature Award –21 total books 11 read and 1 abandoned. 18 read/1 abandoned
  • Robert F. Sibert Informational Book –48 total books 34 read. 39 read
  • Morris – 30 total books 17 read 22 read The 2015 finalists for Morris and YALSA Nonfiction were announced in December 2014. This total does not include those titles.
  • Read at least six honors/winners from: Newbery (392 total books 83 read and 1 abandoned 91 read), Printz (67 total books 26 read and 6 abandoned 34 read and 7 abandoned), and CSK author (152 total books. 23 read. 1 abandoned 30 read)
Newbery Done!
Everything on a Waffle by Polly Horvath
Rules by Cynthia Lord
Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien
Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz
Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
Hoot by Carl Hiaasen
Strawberry Girl by Lois Lenski

Printz Done!
How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff
Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick
Navigating Early by Claire Vanderpool
Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner
Kingdom of Little Wounds by Susann Cokal
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Dodger by Terry Pratchett

CSK author Done!
March: Book One by John Lewis
P.S. Be Eleven by Rita Williams-Garcia
Words with Wings by Nikki Grimes
Darius and Twig by Walter Dean Myers
The Tales of Uncle Remus: The Adventures of Brer Rabbit by Julius Lester
Copper Sun by Sharon M. Draper
Mare's War by Tanita S. Davis

3. Set aside time each week to read the libraryland blogs, journals and other news sources. This really needs to be a part of my regular workweek. Ever since Google’s blog reader bit the dust, I’ve fallen behind on reading blogs. I’m trying Feedly, but need to get in the habit of checking it on a regular basis. I just started it about a month ago.

4. Keep up with tracking books read! I read over 775 books in 2013. I’d like to read an even 1000 in 2014. I have been using Goodreads for years, and plan to continue. According to Goodreads, I have completed over 940 books so far this year and am about on tract for my goal!

I’m already thinking about my Reading Resolutions for 2015. That, however, is for another post!

No comments: