Wednesday, August 19, 2015

2015 Reading Resolutions update

It's been some time since I've updated on my Reading Resolutions for 2015.  Here ya go:



1. Participate in at least one 48-hour Reading ChallengeIf not done by June 30, 2015, organize my own. One day I will do this!  Dewey’s  24-hour Read-a-thon is slated for April 25, 2015!  I did it!  I did it!  I participated in the Dewey 24-hour Read-a-thon! It’s been three months and I am itching to do another one.

2. Read more books from the below lists.


Read at least six honors/winners from: Newbery (400 total books 96 read/1 abandoned), Printz (77 total books 38 read and 7 abandoned), and CSK author (161 total books. 38 read. 1 abandoned).   Thanks to the Dewey 24-hour Read-a-thon, I finished the CSK titles.  I’ll likely read more throughout the year.

Newbery
Our Only May Amelia by Jennifer L. Holm
The Crossover by Kwame Alexander
Penny from Heaven by Jennifer L. Holm

Printz
I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith
Hole in My Life by Jack Gantos
CSK author
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
Remember: The Journey to School Integration by Toni Morrison
The Crossover by Kwame Alexander
The Other Side: Shorter Poems
by Angela Johnson
I Hadn’t Meant to Tell You This
by Jacqueline Woodson
From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun
by Jacqueline Woodson

3. I’ve decided that 2015 is going to be the Year of Non-Fiction.  This means I plan to focus on reading non-fiction titles - not just those on award lists such as YALSA Non-Fiction (25/30 read as of December 15, 2014) and Sibert  (39/53 read as of December 15, 2014) – but non-fiction in general for a variety of ages.  This will include biographies. YALSA Non-fiction finalists were announced in December, but the winner for that award – and the winners and honors for most of the other Youth Media Awards won’t be announced until February 2, 2015. (UPDATED TOTALS: YALSA Non-Fiction (30/30 read) and Sibert (46/59 read).  It has become more the Year of Graphic Novels than the Year of Non-Fiction.  I need to get on the ball!

4. Read the Harry Potter and the Outlander series again. Both are favorites of mine.  After recently watching all of the Harry Potter movies, I realized how many details I had forgotten (that are missing from the movies as well).  I think it is time to revisit the stories.  I’ve listened to the Outlander series twice.  It takes quite some time!  Hopefully by starting them again this month I will finish in time for the next book to be published. (Please be soon.  Please be soon. Please be soon.) I was participating in a Buddy Read of the Harry Potter series through one of the Goodreads groups I belonged to, and had read books 1, 2, 3, and 4, and 5 for it. Since then I dropped that group (too many changes lately).  It took me a while, but I did read HP6 over June and July.  I plan to start book seven soon.

I finished Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, and The Fiery Cross. I’m taking a little break to listen to other books before continuing the series.

5. Set aside time each week to read the libraryland blogs, journals and other news sources. This really needs to be a part of my regular workweek.  Ever since Google’s blog reader bit the dust, I’ve fallen behind on reading blogs.  I’m trying Feedly, but need to get in the habit of checking it on a regular basis. I give up on this.

6. Keep up with tracking books read!  I read over 775 books in 2013.  My goal for 2014 was 1000, and I ended up reading just over that amount. In 2015 I am going to go with a less hectic goal of 500. I have been using Goodreads for years, and plan to continue. I lowered my goal to 250 and feel so much less stressed!  So far I am doing well with the new goal and am more than 40 books ahead of schedule.  I’ve been reading a lot of graphic novels, especially Marvel superheroes. 

No comments: