Sunday, February 10, 2008

Unwind

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

This book was highly recommended by a book group member. When I mentioned that I was going to miss the book group last month, he asked if I had read Unwind yet. When I said I hadn't, he urged me to read it soon.

I'm so glad I did. This book was
fantastic!

It's the future, but not so distant, and not so different from now. Due to medical advancements and a legal agreement (to stop a civil war) between the pro-life and pro-choice advocates, abortion is illegal, but there is still an option for unwanted children. When a child reaches the age of 13, parents can opt to have the child unwound. Unwinding doesn't kill the child. Each and every part of the child's body is kept alive to be transplanted on other humans when needed.

There are three main characters - Connor, a boy with some behavioral issues which cause his parents sign the unwind orders; Risa - a ward of the state, who is sent to be unwound because her piano playing is good, but not quite good enough - especially when room is needed in the state homes; and Lev - who is willingly going the harvest camp, as he is a tithe - born to be unwound. The three teens cross paths on their journeys to the harvest camp.

No comments: