Friday, July 17, 2009

Just say it...

Say the Word by Jeannine Garsee

Shawna seems to be the perfect teenaged daughter. Great grades. Planning to become a doctor. But, Shawna sees herself as three people in one. Perfect Shawna, who always does the right thing and what is asked of her. Pathetic Shawna, who doesn’t stand up for herself and what she wants. Evil Shawna, who whips out the mean spirited zingers at just the right time.

When her mother dies, Shawna must face the realities of the last ten years – her mother leaving the family and moving to NYC with her lesbian lover, Fran; her father’s selfish and controlling personality; her feelings for Fran and her sons. In her struggle to find herself, Shawna must make her three parts one whole person.

This is a compelling book. I started it at dinner on Wednesday and had it finished by bedtime. The characters and their reactions are real. The story is compelling. Well written, the tale stops short of going over the top with the action and plot twists. This will be one I’ll pass along to others.

There are several heavy topics in this novel: homosexuality, depression, and abuse top the list. This is a great read for high school aged teens.



Other books I’ve been reading…

Both of these are written for adults:

Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer
I’ve decided to return this book unfinished. I did make it more than halfway to through it, but the writer’s style – which reminds me of a senior or college term paper – annoys me.

The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon (Outlander series)
I’m on the last disc of this audiobook! Yay! More on the story once I am completely finished.

3 comments:

Jeannine Garsee said...

Thanks so much for the review!

P.S. I'm a huuuuge Gabaldon fan and looking forward to the next installment in September--and the film in 2011!!! :)

Ama said...

Eeee! I think you just made my day with the Outlander movie news. I hope they don't muck it up by casting the wrong actors.

When's your next book due out?

Jeannine Garsee said...

Me too! :)