Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Matchmaker, Matchmaker, make me a match

Matched by Allie Condie.

Cassia’s world is run by the Society – a civilization that is focused on efficiency and statistics. Life is perfect. People live until they are 80. They have the choice to remain Single or to be Matched with their perfect companion. Most disease has been eradicated. Life is regimented, with enough choices to keep everyone content. The Society is perfect, therefore life is perfect.

Recently Matched to her best friend, Xander, she is confident in the ways of the Society. Then she goes to view the information about her Match that is stored on a microchip and sees another boy’s face – that of another friend, Ky. This incident is just the beginning of Cassia seeing the cracks in the Society’s perfect veneer.

Likes
At first you can understand why Cassia feels that the Society is perfect. When she starts to question her world, it is plausible.

The lure of forbidden…poetry. Yes, there is the lure of other things that are forbidden. But the poetry part and how it is integral to Cassia’s changing views of the Society, is awesome. I love it.

Dislikes
I think I’m kind of over the whole dystopian society sub-genre. That doesn’t mean I didn’t like this book. I did. I just realized as I was close to finishing it that I am kind of over this sub-genre.


Other

The sequel, Crossed, is due out this fall. This is a trilogy.

This title is on YALSA’s 2011 Best Fiction for Young Adults list.

No comments: