Sunday, August 14, 2011

This Girl is Different?

This Girl is Different by J.J. Johnson

Evensong Sparkling Morningdew (Evie) is different. Having never been to The Institution of School, she decides to embark on an experiment for her senior year and attend the local high school, against her counter-culture mother’s wishes. Evie knows that she isn’t like other teens; however, when she launches a mini-revolution at the high school, she has a hard time accepting that other teens may not want to be like her.

This Girl Is Different
Likes
I like the idea of the main character being a former homeschooled teen.

Dislikes
I was very annoyed by most of the book. My eyes got a huge workout from rolling so much! Instead of taking the opportunity to show that homeschool kids aren’t geeks and freaks, the novel shows a homeschool family as being completely outside society’s norm.

Evie’s mom is a very anti-establishment…yet works at Walmart, where she hasn’t been fired yet for putting her little messages on various products.

I don’t think Evie’s mom ever calls her by her name. It’s almost always “darling”.

Bleh. I could go on and on why I didn’t like this book. I won’t though.

No comments: