Thursday, February 16, 2012

Playing cards

 
Ed Kennedy is what you might call a loser. Nineteen and working as a taxi driver; living alone with a smelly old dog; spending his free time playing cards with the same group of friends. When he stops a bank robbery, his life slowly begins to change. It starts with the arrival of a playing card in his mail. The only message is three addresses written on the card. Ed soon begins a series of missions – some dangerous, some benign – while trying to find out who is the mysterious messenger that is sending him the playing cards.


Likes

Told in first person, the reader only knows what Ed knows. Ed’s voice is clear and consistent.  

There were several phrases that I absolutely loved – so much that I am going to share them.

"I want words at my funeral.
But I guess that means you need life in your life."


"Sometimes people are beautiful.
Not in looks.
Not in what they say.
Just in what they are."


"He hugs me so hard that I can smell him and taste the joy that leaks from inside him."


"Usually, we walk around constantly believing ourselves. “I’m okay,” we say. “I’m all right.” But sometimes the truth arrives on you, and you can’t get it off. That’s when you realize that sometimes it isn’t even an answer – it’s a question."

Other

Read as an ebook using the Kindle app on a tablet.
2006 Printz Honor

No comments: