Monday, August 26, 2013

The question of what to read



I’m constantly dealing with the question of what to read.  Sure I have a gigantic To Be Read (TBR) list.  What decent librarian and bibliophile doesn’t?  The issue isn’t picking something from the list as much as what should I concentrate on reading.  As a youth librarian, I try to maintain a thorough knowledge of literature for children aged zero to eighteen.  I realize I can’t read every book published, not that I really want to do that.  I do, however, want to know more than just the highlights.  So, I started challenging myself to read more of the award winners and honors.

But…

How can I concentrate only on books that have been recognized for their excellence?  There are many books published each year.  A lot of these books are well written and appealing to children and teens.  Just because they aren’t recognized for their awesomeness, doesn’t mean they aren’t downright awesome.

So, where does this put my TBR list?  Focusing on award books and new releases, but only ones written for children and teens?  Nope.  Because I do like a good adult read from time to time.  There are even a few series written for adults that I adore.

That TBR list?  It’s a little maddening to think about.

I’ve always read a lot.  I’ve been finishing novels in a day since I was in upper elementary school.  I could often be found with two or three books going at a time.  Lately, though, that has increased tremendously.  Thanks to the Kindle app on my iPhone and an Audible account (and iPhone app), I’ve been reading more than ever.  Instead of 2 or 3 books going at a time, I often have 4 or 5.  Right now I have two audiobooks going (CD in the car and Audible app on the phone), two non-fiction books, and one Regency romance e-book on my Kindle app.  I will likely finish the audiobooks by the middle of next week.  The non-fiction books will be finished by tomorrow night.  The e-book, since it hasn’t really grabbed me yet, will take a few more days.

Did you count that?  In case you didn’t, I currently have FIVE books going.

Holy, frijoles, Bat Girl.

Since I’ve already read about 650 books this year, I’m averaging about twenty books a week.

It’s like a drug.  I just can’t get enough. 

No comments: