Monday, January 05, 2009

Catching up...part 2

Fly by night by Frances Hardinge – I took a long time (by my standards) to read this book, as it was my dinner book. I kept it in the car and only read it when I was eating out by myself.

Living in a world where all printed text is tightly control, twelve-year-old Mosca is starving for words. This causes her to free the swindling poet (and spy), Eponymous Clent, and escape – along with her pet goose - her swampy town for adventures in the capital city. Mosca becomes involved in various acts of espionage, all affecting the safety of the city.

I liked this story. Each chapter title begins with a different letter – from A-V (i.e. A is for Arson). The tale is full of adventure and fun.

I have a copy of this book available for whomever emails me 1st at amasgetbooked@gmail.com !



Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon – This is the second book in Gabaldon’s Outlander series. I listened to it. As it is 33 discs, it took some time to complete!



It’s been 20 years since Claire left Jamie behind in 1740s Culloden. She is now a surgeon – and mother to tall, redheaded Brianna. On a trip to Scotland, Claire is determined to tell Brianna the truth about her parentage, and, with the help of historian Roger Wakefield, to search for the fate of her beloved Jamie.

Claire tells of their escape to France, involvement in the Jacobite rebellion, return to Scotland, and why she returned to her own time.

I love this series, which is why I am listening to the third book now (Voyager). Davina Porter is an excellent narrator, making the characters distinct and positively come alive. Gabaldon has weaved a beautiful tale of love and of war.

No comments: