Friday, June 26, 2009

Save Ohio Libraries - Friday morning edition

I’m at the library for a full work day. Yesterday’s rally in Columbus was uplifting, just as the continual outpouring of support across the state – and even in other places.

Not even remotely uplifting are the recent comments by Gov. Strickland claiming that the library community exaggerating the devastating effects from his proposed budget. Sadly this is not true. There are smaller libraries that will be forced to close their doors completely. There are larger libraries that will be forced to drastically reduce hours of operation and close branch locations. This is not an exaggeration, but the truth. The Ohio library community as we know it cannot survive such a decrease in funding.

Today I am wearing a red shirt in support of Ohio public libraries. When I come to work on Monday, I plan to wear a red shirt yet again to show my support. Red – for my love of books and all they encompass. Red – for my love of learning. Red – for my love of the library.

No comments: