Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A world beyond imagination

The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith.

Jack is about to go to London for a short vacation and to check out a boarding school. His best friend, Conner, is joining him there. Shortly before the trip, Jack is kidnapped, abused and nearly raped by a local doctor. He narrowly escapes. When he does, the only person he tells about the ordeal is Conner.

Jack leaves for London, arriving a few days before Conner. There he meets a mysterious man who leaves him an odd looking pair of glasses. When Jack puts them on, he is transported – at least mentally – to Marbury. It is a world unlike any that Jack has ever dreamed.

In Marbury, Jack and the four other boys in his group are fighting for survival. Constantly hunted by humans that are not really humans, the boys journey in search of other people. Jack sees Conner there, but he is one of the hunters.

Wow. Can we say screwy? I found myself avoiding this book in the evening, as I didn’t want Marbury to enter my dreams. Because of this, I took longer than usual to read the book. That fact is actually a positive. The story sucked me into both of Jack’s worlds.

Who would I pass this book along to? Anyone who likes Stephen King or Dean Koontz.

This is definitely a novel for older teens.

No comments: