Wednesday, February 25, 2015

2015 Reading Resolutions update


It's time for a Reading Resolutions update.

1. Participate in at least one 48-hour Reading ChallengeIf not done by June 30, 2015, organize my own. One day I will do this!  Dewey’s  24-hour Read-a-thon is slated for April 25, 2015!

2. Read more books from the below lists.

  • Read 2015 winners/honors for Caldecott, Belpre illustrator, Coretta Scott King (CSK) illustrator, Odyssey(read 31/attempted 4) YALSA non-fiction , and Geisel  (a.k.a. the awards I finished reading in 2013 and again in 2014).  The 2015 winners/honors will be announced on February 2, 2015, adding several titles to my TBR list. Finished Caldecott, Geisel, Belpre illustrator, and CSK illustrator. Currently reading the last of the YALSA non-fiction titles and will soon begin the Odyssey titles.
  • Schneider Family Book Awards - 36 total books 15 read/1 abandoned
  • Stonewall Book Award - Mike Morgan and Larry Romans Children's Young Adult Literature Award 30 total books 22 read/1 abandoned
  • Morris 35 total books 24 read (Finalists announced in December 2014; winner announced February 2, 2015)
  • Read at least six honors/winners from: Newbery (400 total books 92 read/1 abandoned), Printz (77 total books 35 read and 7 abandoned), and CSK author (160 total books. 32 read. 1 abandoned).  Book group’s March book is this year’s Printz winner, so I will start that soon!


Newbery
Our Only May Amelia by Jennifer L. Holm

Printz

CSK author
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

3. I’ve decided that 2015 is going to be the Year of Non-Fiction.  This means I plan to focus on reading non-fiction titles - not just those on award lists such as YALSA Non-Fiction (25/30 read as of December 15, 2014) and Sibert  (39/53 read as of December 15, 2014) – but non-fiction in general for a variety of ages.  This will include biographies. YALSA Non-fiction finalists were announced in December, but the winner for that award – and the winners and honors for most of the other Youth Media Awards won’t be announced until February 2, 2015. (UPDATED TOTALS: YALSA Non-Fiction (29/30 read) and Sibert (43/59 read)

4. Read the Harry Potter and the Outlander series again. Both are favorites of mine.  After recently watching all of the Harry Potter movies, I realized how many details I had forgotten (that are missing from the movies as well).  I think it is time to revisit the stories.  I’ve listened to the Outlander series twice.  It takes quite some time!  Hopefully by starting them again this month I will finish in time for the next book to be published. (Please be soon.  Please be soon. Please be soon.) I’m participating in a Buddy Read of the Harry Potter series through one of the Goodreads groups I belong to.  So far I have read books 1 and 2, and will start book 3 next week.

5. Set aside time each week to read the libraryland blogs, journals and other news sources. This really needs to be a part of my regular workweek.  Ever since Google’s blog reader bit the dust, I’ve fallen behind on reading blogs.  I’m trying Feedly, but need to get in the habit of checking it on a regular basis.

6. Keep up with tracking books read!  I read over 775 books in 2013.  My goal for 2014 was 1000, and I ended up reading just over that amount. In 2015 I am going to go with a less hectic goal of 500. I have been using Goodreads for years, and plan to continue. I am seriously considering lowering my goal to 250 as I plan to read more novels and non-fiction this year. In fact, I am going to do that after this is posted!  I can always raise it again if desired.

No comments: