Thursday, August 28, 2008

vampires, villagers, and high society...Oh, my!

That would pretty much sum up my reading lately, as I've several books to write about today.

Firstly, I listened to Good masters! Sweet Ladies! : voices from a medieval village by Laura Amy Schlitz. This book was the 2008 Newbery Award winner. The audio version is excellent. Each of the monologues and dialogues are read by different voices. The listener can visualize the life portrayed by the author. I highly recommend this title for not only the tweens it is written for, but for adults and teens as well.

I’ve finished two books over the last week or so. The Virgin’s Lover by Philippa Gregory – which is another book in her Boleyn series – and The Luxe by Anna Godbersen.

The Virgin’s Lover. This book begins before the previous story ends (The Queen’s Fool). It is the story of Queen Elizabeth I, her lover Robert Dudley and his wife Amy.

*sigh* I wish I could have been sucked into the story like I was with The Other Boleyn Girl. I’m debating whether I want to bother with anther book by this author. It isn’t that it was poorly written. It just didn’t keep my attention…which is why it took me several weeks to finish reading it.

The Luxe. The story begins with a funeral. Beautiful, young Manhattan society princess Elizabeth Holland tumbled out of a carriage and into the chilly Hudson River. Her body was not found. One what was to be her wedding day, instead an empty casket is being placed in the ground.

What happened to Elizabeth Holland? Only one person was with her in the carriage…her friend Penelope. Elizabeth’s younger sister Diana is full of grief, wondering if she somehow caused this terrible event to happen, while Elizabeth’s fiancĂ© Henry is numb with grief. Few know what secrets Elizabeth was hiding…

While it might not sound it, it is a great light read. I’ve already placed the next book on hold.

Current reads:

Suck it Up by Brian Meehl . This is a book group choice.

I’m listening to Breaking Dawn. I’ll finish it. I want to know how it ends. BUT…the name geek in me is screaming. Won’t say why yet. I’ll save that for the actual review.

No comments: