Saturday, May 25, 2013

2013 Reading Resolutions - another update


We are nearing June, so how about another update on My 2013 Reading Resolutions? The updates since the last time are in red.


1. Participate in at least one 48-hour Reading Challenge – even if I’m the only one taking part! - The April challenge is during a very big event at my library, so I won’t be participating in that one. 


2. Read more books from the below lists.
  • Randolph Caldecott Medal - 47 and counting 109 and counting!
  • Odyssey Award – 6 finished and one abandoned same
  • Schneider Family Book Awards - None yet.  9 – Mostly picture books.
  • Stonewall Book Award - Mike Morgan & Larry Romans Children's Young Adult Literature Award – 5 finished and one abandoned same
  • Theodor Seuss Geisel Award – I’ve read them all!! Same, of course. This won’t change until next January.
  • YALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction for Young Adults – only read one this year Just started a 3rd.
  • Robert F. Sibert Informational Book – read 5. 12


3. Set aside time each week to read the libraryland blogs, journals and other news sources. – I really need to work on this more! Same.  Now that Google Reader is going away, I need to find another feed reader.  Any suggestions?


4. Keep up with tracking books read!  - I’ve been using Goodreads a lot, and have even challenged myself to read an average of one book a day this year.  That includes picture books, audiobooks, non-fiction, fiction, re-reads…basically everything. Same, however I decided to double my goal for the year due to all the picture books I’ve been reading!


Not part of my Reading Resolutions, but part of the Youth Media Awards given by ALA/ALSC/YALSA:


Pura Belpré awards:
Illustrator – I’ve read all 41!  

Author: I’ve read six – all were also Illustrator honors/winners.

Coretta Scott King awards:
Illustrator – 19 read this year.  

Author – two (also illustrator honors/winners).  Some were honors or winners for other awards as well. 

No comments: