Friday, October 16, 2015

It's nearly read-a-thon time!



By this time tomorrow I will be a few hours into the Dewey’s 24-hour Read-a-thon!

Yesterday I compiled my preliminary booklist.  It’s already been adjusted, and likely will a few more times by the end of the event.

My husband has been forewarned of my unavailability to do, well, much of anything on Saturday.  Last I heard he plans to go see a movie while I’m home reading.  He works on Sunday, but should be finished by 2:30, so I will sleep while he is at work and be well rested by the time he gets home.

Food is important and should be at least somewhat planned before the event.  Since I often will listen to an audiobook via the audible.com app on my iPhone, it isn’t as much of an issue for me to continue reading while prepping a meal.  I have some snacks set aside for the day, such as Granny Smith apples, Chicago Mix popcorn, beef jerky, and dark chocolate pizzelles.  In the evening I am going to dinner for my book group outing, so that is another meal taken care of with little time away from the read-a-thon.

When you sign up as a reader for the event, you can request to have cheerleaders.  I didn’t, but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t welcome being cheered as I read!  I’ll mostly update through Instagram – which will forward to my Twitter account, but will also share those updates – and possibly others – on my blog’s Facebook page. If you want to be an official cheerleader for the read-a-thon, you can register here.  This is a great way to be involved when you know you won’t have the time to really read all day.

In April I read for about 20 of the 24 hours. I would love to make it the whole 24 hours this year – counting book group towards the participation time – but…I’m just starting to get over a bout of bronchitis. So, if I feel too worn down, I will nap – and not feel bad about it, either!

I can hardly wait.

No comments: