Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Read-a-thon surveys

There were a couple of surveys during the read-a-thon that I couldn't make into a pretty Instagram post. I posted them on the Ama Reads Facebook page.

From one of the read-a-thin mini-challenges (hour 6):

My top ten readathon notes:


10. Plan ahead. Put books on hold a week or so before the day. Pile then in your reading area. Download books onto your device(s) of choice.

9. Go with the flow. Just because you plan ahead to read certain books doesn't mean you have to read them all. Some you might not be in the mood for that day. Another might come available just in time to read it.

8. Don't be ashamed to claim the day for yourself and your love of reading! They readathon isn't something that appeals to everyone and many won't get it. That's ok. It's about YOU not them.

7. They say variety is the spice of life. Having a variety of reads for the event will add some spice to the day. I have several different genres, formats, and reading levels from which to choose. Keeps me from getting bored!

6. Take a break! Check out other participants' progress, do a challenge or two, rest your eyes, and relax.

5. Be comfy. If you're staying home all day, get into your most comfortable pjs and curl up in your favorite spot. I'm currently sitting in bed with two snuggle pups keeping me company while I read.

4. Keep up your energy with healthy snacks and meals. Yes, I've had cookies and candy today, but I also had a protein rich breakfast to get me started, and I'm looking forward to some apples and peanut butter this afternoon.

3. There's no wrong way to participate in the readathon. Any format is real reading - print books, graphic novels, ebooks, audiobooks, magazines... And reading/interest levels can be whatever you want. I read a picture book this morning and have a couple children's chapter books for this afternoon. It's all good.

2. Take notes and make lists. I love looking back at my list of books read and notes on the challenges I've done. And if you're checking out other readathon participants, you might need to write down other books to read later.

1. Most importantly of all...HAVE FUN!

The challenge was posted here.


Dewey's 24-hour Read-a-thon Closing Survey

Which hour was most daunting for you?
Hour six or seven was when I wanted to nap. 


Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
Two from my reads for this event: Rat Queens volume 1 and Furiously Happy. 


Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
Nope!


What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
Everything. 


How many books did you read?
10


What were the names of the books you read?
  • CarryOn
  • Furiously Happy
  • Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night
  • Son of No One
  • Everything's Eventual
  • All-star Superman volume one
  • Keesha's House
  • Captain Marvel volume three
  • Your Own Sylvia
  • Rat Queens volume one 
Which book did you enjoy most? 
Furiously Happy 
Which did you enjoy least?
Son of No One. I might abandon it (and return the Audible purchase for credit)


How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
VERY likely. Reader if possible. Cheerleader is I work that day.

No comments: